Monday, February 8, 2010

Last Day in America and Return Trip to Ukraine

What an Experience!

My trip was extended by an additional two weeks. I spent this time helping family. My last day in America was going to be spent sorting and distributing weight between my checked luggage, the carry-on and my computer case. I try to bring back essentials for the office such as Reese’s Pieces! The airlines permit fifty pounds for overseas, I traveled to America with twenty pounds and returned with a considerable amount more. There are a few food and office items that I cannot purchase in Ukraine and I bring back as much as possible.

My last day in America . . . I was scheduled to walk my grandson to the bus at 7:00 AM. During the packing process, I took the house key from my coat pocket and set it on the counter so I would not accidently take it with me. I forgot my warning not to go out of the house without it! Wanting to return with clean laundry, I was still in my pajamas when I walked Micah to his bus. Fortunately I put on my winter coat, scarf and gloves. As we left the house, the door closed, OH NO . . . we were locked out of the house. I did not have makeup on and had not combed my hair. What a mess.

Now what? One of the bus drivers allowed me to use her mobile phone. I called my daughter in order to make arrangements to get back in the house. Fortunately my father was in town and he came to get me. The next forty-five minutes were soooooo . . . cold. I did not have socks on and my legs were bare. When dad showed up, I was so relieved; it took me all day to warm up.

Later that day, we had to pick up my mother from the airport who had spent two weeks in Florida with family. What a day! I planned an orderly and quiet day. These crazy things happen and we can either laugh or cry, it is our choice.

I arrived home on Friday after traveling for twenty six hours. What an experience! At the Minneapolis airport the agents unpacked my carry-on because something showed up as potentially dangerous. I had purchased Celtic Sea Salt on the advice of a doctor. I never realized that it would cause so much trouble. This slowed me up enough that I did not have time to call anyone from the airport.

I flew from Minneapolis to Chicago and then flew to Frankfurt, Germany then onto my final destination; Kiev. In Frankfurt I had to go through two scans, the first one was not a problem. The second one was absolutely humiliating. The wand went off because of a button, hooks, and the buckle on my boots! I tell you, this was the craziest trip of all. However, I was blessed with empty seats next to me the last two planes. The extra seat was wonderful from Chicago to Frankfurt, I was able to stretch out a bit.

Arriving in Kiev, everything was beautifully white and clean. Annessa and Victor, friends from church met me and brought lunch and hot tea, it was a wonderful greeting. They told me it had been snowing for three days in Cherkasy, I was excited to see the snow. The trip from Kiev to Cherkasy is normally about two and a half hours but this trip lasted four hour and a half hours. The roads had not been plowed and were in poor condition with lots of ice and snow on the road.

Arriving in Cherkasy, I was in a state of shock! The snow banks are at least 9 feet high. The buses were not running and the roads are horrible. Victor tried to drive me home, but could not. He had to let me out a block from home and I carried a forty-nine pound suitcase and my twenty pound computer bag through eighteen inches of snow and Annessa carried my carry-on for me. Then we carried the suitcase up three flights of steps. I was exhausted and could hardly find my breath. I had not eaten all day, so I sat down with a cup of coffee and a yogurt. I was glad that my traveling was over for this trip.

Now, the fun begins . . . back to work on Monday. This weekend will be spent organizing everything I brought back with me and I need to shop for groceries. Then when I figure out my problem with the internet, I will notify family and friends that I have arrived!

God bless each of you.
Your humble servant,
Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy. Wow! You sure have had some interesting times. Things seem to always happen that we would not expect when traveling. I am so thankful you did not freeze worse in MN, and that you did make it safely home. Even tho I know you have a lot on your plate with things that have to be done, things you want to get done, etc, I pray that you will have fun with it all like you have never had before. That the Lord's joy would fill you daily to overflowing and allow His strengh, love, life, joy, and His all to abundantly bless you and those you encounter. I am so excited for you as you implement the new and creative things, and ways, that He is opening up to you. Be refreshed in Jesus daily as you continue in Him and His will that is not burdensome. Love and blessings in Yeshua always to you, dear friend. I thank God for you, and for our time together. ~ P.S. We are going to Tennesse for a few days. Prayerfully our travels will go well, yet by His grace we praise Him even if they don't. We look forward to connections with people, and for time with family.

    ReplyDelete