Thursday, June 25, 2009

Just a buzz and a stronghold . . .

Strange title? I hope it worked, if you are reading this, than I accomplished my goal.

Our supermarkets are equipped with those metal things that detect whether or not you are walking away with unpaid product. The stores also have people walking around watching everyone. There is still a mode of distrust but it is not like it was five or ten years ago!

About seven years ago, I was in a supermarket with my father and I took out a pack of gum from my purse and handed some to my father and I partook of a piece. It did not take 5 seconds and someone came up behind me and grabbed my arm and the gum. I thought Oh No! This was my first trip to Ukraine and I could not speak one word of Russian! By the grace of God all ended well and we were allowed to go our way.

Normally I shop alone. I love to go to the open markets or bazaars and shop. I love trying my Russian on the бабушки (grandmas). I purposely go back to the same ladies, they know what I like and understand my poor Russian grammar! The supermarkets are easy; they are like American stores, rows and rows of product and then lines of people at the checkout counter.

If you ever asked God to give you patience and you want to check how much patience you have, please come and stand in some of our lines. I had to do some banking the other day and I waited in line for an hour and then, it took an hour and half to complete the transaction! That calls for patience. As Americans we have a drive through mentality and many of us would not survive in other parts of the world.

Yesterday, it was hot, about 95 when I left the apartment. It was comfortable with a breeze and walking in the shade. I enjoyed the walk three blocks to the supermarket. On my arrival, I entered the store and took a cart; I usually buy more than I can carry while shopping. Sounds like America, right? There isn’t too much difference in Kyiv and America. Now I am not speaking of the smaller towns and villages, some of them are still quite backwards without running water and electricity.

I enjoyed the cool air in the supermarket and watching people as I shopped. There were numerous moms with their strollers and babies. It is so much fun to wink or wave at the little ones and watch their reactions. As I completed my shopping I headed towards the checkout counter.

I unloaded my groceries on the counter and took out my discount card and waited for my turn. The clerk first asks; “Do you want a packet or bag?” Of course I said no, I bring my own and then she swiped my card and proceeded to check each item. I returned the items to my cart, paid the clerk and proceeded to the counter where we bag our items.

As I was returning my cart to the stall, by the way, how many of you do that? NO preaching – on with the story.
I went through the metal and a buzzer YELLED at me and a man grabbed my arm. He began to speak quite rapidly and I asked him to “Говорите медленно пожалуйста” (speak slowly please). He looked at me strangely and I handed him my receipt and told him it was most likely the мясо или колбаса (meat or sausage). He wanted the meat and I gave it to him. He had me walk back through the metal and I didn’t set off the alarms! He walked through with the sausage and he set off the detectors. He made sure that the sausage was on my check he smiled and said спасибо и пока (thank you and bye).

Once again, I survived a day in Ukraine. I am so grateful we serve an awesome God, no matter the situation, He provides all we need. I am learning more and more to trust God in every area of my life. I am glad I have had this opportunity not only to do God’s work but learn to live by faith daily for every area of my life.

1 comment: