Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year’s Eve


I spent the morning studying and writing a new course. In the afternoon, Luda and I decided to go downtown and see the Christmas lights. We wanted to take in the decorations and the celebrations.

We left home about 3 in the afternoon while it was still fairly warm, about 25’. The Metro ride was very chilly, for some reason they had the windows open! Arriving downtown, the first thing we experienced was a Country Western band. I could not believe what I was hearing. Hey – they were pretty good and my feet began to do a line dance, Luda thought I was really strange.

We walked through downtown making our way to the square. The City’s Christmas tree was huge. Around the base of the tree, there were many types of entertainment. Miniature pony rides, horse rides, opportunities to have a photo with Santa and Mrs. Santa, also photos in a Cinderella carriage! There was so much activity and entertainment. There were bands of all types of music and people dancing in the street.

Reaching the phase of inability to walk or move, we sought refuge in the underground tunnels and mall. Hey ladies – if you like shopping, you would love this underground mall. They even have a food court including Mc Donald’s. What can I say? It is an American restaurant and when you are far from home, even Mc D’s is good! Mind you, I never eat at Mc Donald’s in America.

Once we thawed out, we returned to the square, there were so many people. We took some great photos and wandered about watching and taking in all the activities. I really enjoyed our time downtown.

However, reality hit me hard on our way home. Seeing a young woman so drunk she could not stand up, broke my heart. I prayed for her asking God to protect her throughout the night.

Seeing this situation made me thankful for what I have. I came home with a grateful heart and attitude. I thanked God once again for what He has provided this past year. I know the coming year will be blessed and prosperous. May each of you enjoy God’s richest blessings this year.

God bless you,
Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Kathy

    I love the blog, keep it up. We are going to be in Israel from Jan 7th to Feb. 5th. We don't know what the Lord has planned but we are anticipating breakthroughs for 2009. We love and appreciate you. May the Lord continue to bless you in 2009 as you faithfully serve in His Kingdom.


    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures! I have a question for you -- What is a typical new year's celebration like in Ukraine?

    Edie

    ReplyDelete